Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's our annual Quilt Show this week and yesterday I attended the set up.  A great range of quilts will be available to browse around and I thoroughly recommend you make some time to pop in and see the quilts. If you'd like to see the winners - pop over to Queensland Quilters Website.

 I managed to photograph my three quilts that I have entered.  No prizes this year, but I'm very proud of the quilts I've shown. 

This first quilt was completely hand made and hand quilted using a gold thread.  I used a paper piecing method to put the hexagons together, and also used a vast array of border prints to give the hexagons a frame. 

Of course, I ran out of black fabric towards the finish and so had to use some teal silk to make the black fabric last the distance.  I call this one Hexaggeration and it sits above our piano in the lounge.

 
 
The next quilt is a quilt I started in a workshop with Kerry Glen who owns 
 Tulis Textiles in New Zealand.  I changed the design considerably, and finally ended up with this completed wall hanging. 

I used the quilt as you go method in joining the blocks, which allowed me to machine quilt each block separately.  A delight to make and I'll be making another version again.
I call this one Cycles of Life.


The final quilt I entered is a needleturned applique quilt that I've had on the go since 1997.  In fact I finished piecing the quilt top the day Princess Diana died in Paris - 31st August 1997.  I call it Celtic Rose in her honour. 

The celtic patterns come from an old publication by Patricia Campbell with a huge amount of patterns.  I designed the applique borders myself and am pleased with the result.  This quilt is the only quilt I have hand quilted.

 
 





 

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, it's always lovely to see your quilts hanging with others.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see your quilts hanging 'in situ' Judie. Lots of other beautiful quilts hanging also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all three of your quilts are lovely and such different techniques. my favourite is the applique one, such delicate colours beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. just beautiful Judie.Especially love the concept and colours in Cycles of life; and the Celtic Rose is awe-some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Cycles of Life (maybe because life has been so gray here with two weeks of fog in the winter) with it's vibrant colors. The Celtic Rose is so delicate looking. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete